Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Scarlet soup

The last issue of Gourmet came a few weeks ago. So sad.  However, there is nothing to do but cook from it.  I wanted to try some of the recipes before Thanksgiving, because we are having a Thanksgiving potluck and I want to decide what to make.

First I made the scarlet carrot soup.  Gourmet calls it a Thanksgiving starter.  And it has beets and carrots in it, two very affordable vegetables.






I thought it was really good, even though I didn't make it exactly right. I substituted curry powder for the coriander seeds, and I didn't put the deep-fried carrot strips on top:  just a bit of ricotta cheese instead.  Also, I halved the recipe.

For whatever reason, I couldn't find the recipe on the epicurious site, where all the other Gourmet recipes are archived. I guess the person who uploaded the recipes lost her job too.

So here's my version of it.

Scarlet Carrot Soup

1 tsp curry powder
2T oil
1/2 cup sliced shallots
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
pinch of hot pepper flakes
4 cups sliced carrots
2 cups chopped beets
4 cups water
1 T red wine vinegar

Cook shallots in oil with thyme, bay leaf and pepper. When shallots are soft, add curry and cook one minute.  Add carrots, beets, 1 tsp salt, pepper, and water.  Simmer 20 minutes.
Discard bay leaf and thyme sprig.  Puree soup in the blender and return soup to pot.  Add vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with sour cream or yogurt or ricotta cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment